Accidents taboo in world of perfect parenting

It seems many parents would be afraid to admit their child had an accident, because they feel so inadequate after reading posts by other parents on Facebook and Instagram.

A study produced by The Child Accident Prevention Trust (CAPT) for this year's Child Safety Week (5-11 June 2017) says that nearly three quarters of parents admit to feeling under too much pressure to be 'perfect parents'.

CAPT says the fear of being judged unfavourably on social media has worrying consequences for child safety, and wants to encourage parents to share their experiences and learn from each other. Katrina Phillips, Chief Executive of the Child Accident Prevention Trust, says: "Parents are living under a social media microscope, too scared to admit to less than Pinterest-perfect parenting for fear of being judged. This has worrying consequences for child safety. If parents no longer feel able to share their experiences or admit what they don’t know, we lose the chance to learn from each other and stop serious accidents to children."

One parent who bravely decided to speak out is George Asan, whose two year-old daughter Francesca died in 2016 after a button battery she swallowed became lodged in her throat and burned through, causing devastating internal bleeding. George was supporting Child Safety Week to highlight the real risks to children and the simple things that families can do to stop their children suffering a serious accident.

George said: "It is very hard for me to talk about losing Francesca, but I hope that by talking about Francesca's death it will encourage other families to talk about accidents and ask questions about what they can do to stop them happening to their own children."

CAPT issues the following safety advice for parents regarding the use of button batteries:

  • Store spare button batteries well out of reach and sight
  • Keep products well out of reach if the compartment is not secured with a screw
  • Supervise children when using toys with button batteries in them
  • If you think your child may have swallowed a button battery, don't delay – take them straight to A&E or dial 999 for an ambulance.

For more information on keeping your child safe visit www.capt.org.uk